Monday, June 20, 2011

A Winter Day In June


Nothing better than all the vegetables
you can find, always garlic and a chile,
to make a hot soup for a Winter day in June.


A nice wood fire makes the room cozy.
The sofa table base is a cactus root
from Guanajuato, Mexico



  
A batch of cornbread, Texas recipe
 

June 20th in the High Country
 

Knocking the snow off the aspen and Canadian Cherry tree,
They were bent to the ground with the weight of the wet snow.
 
   Today is June 20 and tomorrow is the official start of Summer, so, I thought today would be a good day to go to Cold Springs Nursery and buy plants for the various flower pots and planters around the decks.   The plan was to go this morning after tennis until we woke up to snow.  Easy for us to change plans, sit by the fireplace and read, watch a movie or cook.  I am thinking of those families camping out, they must be miserable.  We have many lodges and cabins but also camp grounds that families seem to like.Yesterday was somewhat dreary and I made one of my favorites, green chili.  It is not Mexican, not Texan but I learned to make it many years ago when I lived in New Mexico.  There is a truck stop in Albuquerque, New Mexico that is famous for green chili and it is the best!  I decided to use this cold, snowy day to advantage so, I cleaned all the vegetables out of the refrigerator as tomorrow is grocery day.  I made a big healthy vegetable soup.  We won't eat all of it, so will freeze it for the house guest we are expecting July 1.  I didn't plan another blog so soon but I am house bound again and I want everyone to see a Winter day in June (almost July) in the high country.



At noon it is barely above 40*, chilly!


What else can you do, enjoy the fire,
read a book and watch Wimbleton,
not too bad.

Green Chili with roasted chile  poblano strips,
New Mexico style


Many of the dishes I have made for years do not have recipes.  First, brown one pound of ground pork and drain it.  I saute three cloves of crushed garlic and one onion cut in half and sliced on the mandolin (leave in strips) until translucent.   Add 1 quart carton of organic chicken broth, 1- 28 oz. can of Hatch''s long green chilies-diced, browned ground pork and simmer on a low heat.  I like to throw in 1 whole Serrano chile with the end cut off to add some heat.  I put just a pinch of cumin in the broth.  Add a 14 oz can of organic Muir Glen fire roasted, crushed tomatoes.  Simmer until the flavors are blended.  Serve with thin strips of roasted poblano chile on the top. You can serve it on a cheeseburger, burrito or huevos rancheros,  I like it as seen above, a bowl of chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment