Sunday, June 12, 2011

Post Trip Notes



A friend who arranged his schedule
to spend some time with us in London.
 
A friend who is the most generous host.
How else, would we be in St. Tropez.

What a great idea, unload all those
strange coins at the airport and it
goes to Rotary International.
 A friend who has followed my blog (I am flattered) recently sent me a quote which I love.


     To travel is to live,  by Hans Christian Andersen

After two days, the ship departed 6:p.m. from St. Petersburg.
People were lined up all along the bank, picnic style, waving
their arms and flags, honking the car horn.  I wonder if this is
a pastime because there are so many cruise ships that go
into St. Petersburg.  It seemed sort of sad, I didn't understand it.
  In no special order, I want to highlight some of the things that surprised , awed, educated , inspired and delighted me.  

The bicycle culture is indeed fascinating, a way of life
for the people of Copenhagen.
  
Something very charming about the old fashioned
perambulator used in England and Denmark.
 

The subway is a way of life for London
and it works so well.  I am amazed where
you can go in a short time.
  



Every town and city has a market.  The colors
and presentation are a work of art.
 
  
Surprised to know that the medieval city
of Colmar France has preserved their past and
is such a beautiful, bucolic place, full of young families.
Also, the home of the sculptor of the Statue of Liberty. 
 


Enthralled with landscapes in every place
we visited.  Linden trees and tulips in St Petersburg, Russia.
  

Trafalgar Square was constructed in the
1830's and is a main focus for political demonstrations.
Every December, Norway donates a marvelous Christmas
tree, to thank Britain for liberation from the Nazis. 

 
So many nice people to know.  This couple are sheep growers
from Australia and are taking their second Baltic cruise. They would only
say that they have traveled all their life.  We met people that could give you the
numbers, such as their 45th cruise.  Very few people we met were on their first
cruise.  I told them only that, we are practitioner's of delayed gratification.

Every country we visited had monuments
and statues to the men and women who
gave their lives in World War 11

I did not expect the luxury of Seabourn.
All this on a ship!



The architecture of London doesn't change
but something is always under restoration.

An exotic touch, the onion domes of
the Russian Orthodox Church are
magnificent

Anne, a hard working Belgium girl, living
in St. Tropez, makes everything fun.  She is
so talented and delightful to be with.
Realizing the differences in our cultures.


It is impossible to put all impressions into words and photos but at the risk of boring you, I will add a few comments.
Arriving home, it is interesting to know that everything that you have needed for four weeks has been in one piece of luggage (carry-on's don't count).
I realized that I knew little or nothing about the Baltic countries and was fascinated with their history, their people and culture.  I can only say, 'These are tough, good looking, and hard working people'.  Good genes to come from.  They have made the most in Winter sports with their very harsh Winters.  These small countries have been invaded so many times that all occupiers have left their mark.   I can understand why they are so proud of their nationalism and culture.  I would love to be there for Tallin's 'Old Town Days' celebrating their long history (what a turbulent history).
I will never forget the 'white nights' when the sunset blends into the sunrise. On the ship at sea, it was more a lavender mist, too beautiful to describe.  
My surprise to see a painting in Colmar's Musee Unterlinden, A La Wolmsa, that looks just like a watercolor of Trail Ridge Road that we have, painted by a local.
No one likes graffiti and it was almost non-existent in the Baltic.  I saw one in England, "early to bed, early to rise, makes a man sneaky and full of lies'.  I had to laugh at the different take.
I observed that there were very few bicycles in St Petersburg and absolutely never saw anyone walking a dog,  Along the Kiel Canal, every person that was not running or on a bicycle was walking a dog.
I will always have the image of those beautiful, stylish Danish women riding their bicycles.  I can't imagine riding with a skirt, high heels and even something in your hand (usually a cell phone).  Fascinating!
St. Tropez is all beauty and wealth.  It is conspicuous consumption at it's best.  I suppose it is all relative.
Copenhagen surprised me, both enervating and seductive.  I couldn't live their Winters.  The taxi driver told me that they are people who live with four hours of sunlight much of the year and many people are depressed.  I didn't have that impression.  He also mentioned that they are not open people who make eye contact and say hello but they are kind - they just allow people their space.  These people would be in shock if they traveled to Texas.
Colmar, France is the place to go if you want to study French.  It is an idyllic small town life and no American tourism.  They are a mixture of French and German people ( the Colmar blog explains the German influence).  It is a short train ride (a day trip) to many places of interest.
Americans go to other areas of France and don't know about Colmar which fell under 'accident of Geography' for this trip.
And what a universe it is!!  Modern astronomy tells us that we live on a tiny hunk of rock and metal third from the sun, which is one of about a hundred billion other galaxies that make up the universe (according to some current views).  It is a big world! I am a lucky traveler.  I get a thrill of experiencing new places, people and culture.  I feel fortunate that a travel revolution has taken place in my lifetime and made it possible for the average person to travel.  We arrived home safely, without illness, without incident (we were warned everywhere about pick-pockets) and we had a great trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment